Monday, October 27

Hazelnuts

Our hazelnut tree is ready for harvesting. I noticed this a couple days ago when I found several nuts on the ground. I collected the good ones and tried to pick a few loose ones from the tree. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them :)

If you haven’t already noticed, hazelnut trees are pretty unique looking. Their branches twist and curl into beautiful formations. Winter shows these formations at their best, without leaves to hide the tangled twigs.

DPP_00012181

DPP_00012182

DPP_00012184

DPP_00012185

DPP_00012101

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, now I'm really jealous! I love hazelnuts! I have never seen one up close and personal. They are beautiful! Lamar is talking to your dad right now :-) ...not that it has anything to do with hazelnuts!

Darlene said...

If you are wondering what to do with them...you eat them! Or you can bring some down at Christmas :) They are wonderful chopped up and stirred into your favorite chocolate, something like peanut clusters only hazelnut clusters, yum! Growing up our neighbor had an orchard of them. Enjoy!