Wednesday, December 8

Mouse Trap

Not to confuse you with the game, this is the real thing. We had a mouse living in our house for who knows how long. We heard chewing under the cabinets in our kitchen last week and finally saw the mouse one evening (under the dishwasher). Further inspection revealed the mouse had visited other parts of the house.

Todd, after getting a few ideas online, created an ingenious live trap to catch the little critter. It involved peanut butter, a cardboard box, a wooden ramp, a coat hanger and some water bottles.

Well, it worked and I found the little guy sitting in peanut butter staring up at me at 4am (I was up for a snack too). I transferred him to another container complete with fabric scraps, cheese, oatmeal and water. I have a soft spot for rodents you know.

Later that morning I found the perfect place to set him free, the field behind Ed & Julie’s house! I know they enjoy having a mouse or two in their house so it worked out. Ha, actually I took him to the park (across the river from the Balls) and let him go. He leapt out of the box like no tomorrow and hid under some leaves.

Good riddance (peanut butter covered) Mickey!

20101206-IMG_4247

The mouse runs up the ramp into the water bottle tube to get the peanut butter. Once at the end, the off balance tips the tube up so the mouse cannot get out.

20101206-IMG_4251

20101206-IMG_4250

20101206-IMG_4258

20101206-IMG_4275

4 comments:

Ed / Julie said...

You're so funny! You should know better than to release him near me, 'cause if I catch him, he'll be dead. ;)

Alan Palmer said...

Well done, Todd! Looks like a fun DIY project.

Melissa said...

I knew if he got in your house he would be dead :) Though I'm fine with other people taking care of mice (whatever works), I just can't do it myself Julie. It's a curse sometimes.

I wonder how long he will last in the wild smelling like peanut butter :)

Darlene said...

I thought the same thing about the peanut butter scent. The mouse will at least have something to eat for awhile :) Cute little thing, but so destructive. The trap was clever.