Sunday, July 19

Goodbye Goldie

My sweet Goldie has passed on to greener pastures. I believe she was fourteen, soon to be fifteen. She was no longer able to get up on her own and so the decision had to be made to put her down.

She was my doggie from junior high until I got married. She was a good dog. She followed me everywhere and would wait for me every night by the front door until I got home in the wee hours. From there she followed me to my room where she slept next to my bed. This was of course before I married Todd. My Mom soon took over as her best buddy, following her everywhere since I was gone.

We adopted Goldie, a Lab/Golden Retriever mix, at the local shelter where she was being treated for Parvo. The virus can be fatal, but she did well with the treatments and grew strong. She loved, and I mean loved bread! Just the crinkle of a bread bag would send her flying into the kitchen for a snack. She pretty much liked all food, even ate a couple tomato worms.

She once got stung on the face by a bee, reminded us of a Shar Pei all puffy and wrinkly. I was also able to teach her some tricks, like rolling a tennis ball back and forth on the ground. I would sit and and roll the ball to her, she would nudge it back with her nose, it could go on for several minutes before she wanted to play catch for real. Never could leash train her not to drag me on a walk. She rarely barked and never bit on purpose.

She was a good dog and will be well missed, goodbye sweet girl. These are the last pictures I took when I was visiting in April.

DPP_00014669

DPP_00014670

DPP_00014671

2 comments:

Ed / Julie said...

Awww. So sorry, Melissa. It's sad to lsoe a long-time friend like that. Thanks for sharing those memories. That was a good thing for you to do.

Cathy said...

Goldie was such a sweetie. It will be strange not to see her on our next visit (whenever that will be). Our golden retriever, Annie, also LOVED bread and would do the same thing...anytime she would hear a bread bag being moved, she'd be right there waiting for a hand out. :-) Hard to say good-bye to our pups.